We understand the importance and integral role families, loved ones and caregivers have in providing physical, social and emotional support to patients. North York General Hospital and Seniors' Health Centre started a phased approach to safely reintroduce visitors.
For patients who have clinic or medical imaging appointments or having a day procedure (e.g., endoscopy or day surgery), please note that a support person will not be able to accompany you throughout your visit. Persons accompanying you will have to wait outside of the hospital and meet you at the West exit when your appointment/procedure is completed.
Exceptions may be made if deemed necessary by the clinic/department based on patient safety, assessment required or patient history that can’t be obtained over the phone. Please speak with the clinic/department prior to the date of your appointment/ procedure if you feel a support person is necessary.
Arranging an in-patient visit at the General site:
- One designated visitor (over the age of 18) may visit a patient. Please read the full list of criteria.
- Visits must be pre-booked in advance to help us minimize crowding, by contacting the unit where the patient is staying.
- Please view the instructional videos prior to your visit.
*Please read the FAQ below for more information on how to book your visit and what to expect
Day of visit
Please do not visit the hospital if you are feeling unwell, even if it is only the mildest symptoms.
Entering the hospital:
- Enter only through the South lobby entrance. The only exception is for those going to see patients in the Emergency Department (ED) – you must enter through the ED.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time slot to allow for screening.
- Upon arrival, you will be screened for COVID-19 related symptoms. People displaying any symptoms will not be able to visit and will need to reschedule.
- Your mask must be worn (covering your nose, mouth and chin) throughout the entire visit. You may bring your own clean cloth mask. If you do not have a mask, we will provide you with a disposable mask.
During your visit:
- When you arrive on the unit, please sign in and follow staff instructions.
- Strict infection prevention measures must be followed throughout your visit including frequent hand washing, wearing personal protective equipment if necessary, as directed by staff and maintaining physical distancing.
- You must remain in the patient’s room for the entire scheduled visit. To reduce the risk of spreading the virus, going for walks is currently not permitted.
- Food may be brought if individually packaged and may not be shared. All leftovers must be discarded and cannot be kept in unit fridges. All containers must be cleaned at home and unit pantry’s may not be used.
When you visit is over:
- When your visit ends, please sign out on the unit
- Exit the hospital immediately by the West exit on the 1st floor.