North York General Hospital offers testing by appointment only.
The Ministry of Health, with Ontario Health, have announced changes to who is eligible for a COVID-19 test at Assessment Centres and implemented appointment-based testing.
If you have severe symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain/pressure, persistent fever or require immediate medical attention, please call 911 or proceed to the nearest Emergency Department.
Or call 416-635-2509 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to book your appointment over the phone.
Important update: As of December 11, following guidelines from the Ontario Government, Assessment Centre's, including North York General's, will no longer be providing testing for international travel.
Book an appointment for a COVID-19 test ONLY if you:
- Have symptoms of COVID-19
- Have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus (call Toronto Public Health 416-338-7600 to better understand if your exposure is considered “close contact”)
- Have received notification through the COVID Alert app
- Live or work in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by the local public health unit
- Are a resident, visiting a resident or work in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting
- Are an NYGH patient and require a test for surgery
- Are at greater risk for COVID-19 due to a health condition (e.g., starting treatment for cancer or is directed by their treating clinician)
- Are an international student who has passed the 14-day quarantine period
Please note: if you require further assistance and need accommodations, call 416-635-2509 to speak with a team member who will be able to assist you with your visit needs.
Testing in pharmacies is now available to those not showing symptoms and who are a resident or working in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting. See the full list of participating pharmacies.
*Due to high volumes, COVID-19 test results may take up to four days to become available. We are not able to expedite test results. Thank you for your patience.